DSD Law Firm


With a remarkable track record spanning more than 15 years in the field of immigration law, Dalbir Singh and Associates, P.C boasts a team of highly skilled attorneys who have dedicated their expertise to assisting countless individuals seeking refuge from persecution in obtaining asylum protection within the United States.

The journey of seeking asylum in the United States can often present numerous daunting challenges, and our seasoned legal professionals possess the knowledge and experience necessary to navigate these complexities with utmost efficiency and compassion.


Seeking asylum in the United States can be a challenging process. However, with the help of Dalbir Singh and Associates, P.C experienced attorneys, you can successfully obtain asylum protection.

Our asylum lawyers will guide you through the affirmative or defensive asylum process, file necessary paperwork, and represent you in court if needed.

Contact Dalbir Singh & Associates, P.C. today! Call 212.428.2000 to arrange a consultation. We speak English, हिंदी, ગુજરાતી, ਪੰਜਾਬੀ , বাংলা, and Español.


An asylee is someone who has left their home country due to persecution and has requested asylum upon arrival at the US border or while already in the country. To be granted asylum status, an asylee must prove their eligibility for protection under US law. This status is given to individuals who have suffered, or fear persecution based on their race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group.

  • Race

  • Religion

  • Nationality

  • Political Opinion

  • Membership in a Particular Social Group

If you believe that you meet the criteria for asylum protection, it is essential to speak with an experienced immigration lawyer to guide you through the process.


There are two ways to apply for asylum in the United States: the affirmative process and the defensive process. Here's how each process works:

Affirmative Process:

  • You must apply at the border or be physically present in the United States

  • You are not placed in removal proceedings before an immigration judge

  • Submit Form I-589 to the USCIS to apply for asylum

  • Attend a fingerprinting appointment at the nearest application support center (ASC)

  • Attend an interview with a USCIS official.

Defensive Process:

  • You have been placed in removal proceedings.

  • Request asylum as a defense against deportation from the US

  • Appear before an immigration judge with the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR) for a court-like hearing.

  • Receive the immigration judge’s decision on your eligibility for asylum.


As an asylee in the United States, you are entitled to certain rights, including:

  • The right to remain in the US indefinitely (or until the conditions in your home country improve)

  • The right to apply for a work permit by filing Form I-765 after your asylum is approved.

  • The right to petition for your family members to join you by filing Form I-730

  • The right to apply for a Green Card (permanent resident status) one year after receiving asylum status.

  • The right to apply for citizenship five years after you receive the Green Card

  • The right to access social services and assistance.


If you fear persecution in your home country because of your race, religion, national origin, or membership in a particular social group (such as sexual orientation), you may be eligible for asylum. Winning an asylum case can make you eligible to apply for a green card after one year.

If you're an asylee seeking a work permit, here are the steps you need to follow:

  • Submit Form I-765 (ensure the Asylum Office has already arranged for your application to be forwarded to the USCIS on your behalf)

  • Receive a photo ID card that will serve as evidence to potential employers that you're authorized to work in the US.

You do not have to pay a fee for your first I-765.

If your spouse or unmarried children under 21 were with you when you applied for asylum in the US and were mentioned in your asylum application, they may have already been granted asylum too. If they weren't with you, you can file a petition to get derivative asylum status for them by filing Form I-730.

But note that you can only petition for a spouse or child you were related to on the date you were granted asylum, and you must file within two years of that date.

If you miss the deadline, consult an experienced asylum lawyer at Dalbir Singh and Associates, P.C to explore your options for exceptions.

Yes, it is possible to apply for asylum regardless of your immigration status. But to qualify for asylum, you must meet these requirements:

  • You are not currently undergoing removal proceedings.

  • You submit your asylum application within one year of your arrival in the US or present evidence to substantiate an exception to this deadline.

If you have a criminal record, you can still apply for asylum, but you may be ineligible depending on the nature of the crime. To ensure your application is accurate and complete, you must disclose your criminal history when you:

  • Submit Form I-589, Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal

  • Attend your asylum interview.

If you do not disclose your criminal history, you may face penalties such as fines or imprisonment for perjury.

If you have a criminal history and are seeking asylum, seek the assistance of a knowledgeable and experienced asylum lawyer at Dalbir Singh and Associates, P.C

No, there is no fee to apply for asylum status.

Yes, every person who applies for asylum is subject to security and background checks.

The decision on your asylum status can take up to 180 days from the date you submitted your application.

If you are not eligible for asylum, you may be referred for removal proceedings before an immigration court.

Yes, you can be barred from being granted asylum status if you:

  • Were part of the persecution of a person based on political opinion, religion, race, nationality, and other circumstances

  • Pose a danger to US security.

  • Were firmly resettled in another country before entering the US.

  • Were sentenced for a serious crime.

  • Committed a serious nonpolitical crime outside of the US.

  • Yes, a knowledgeable asylum lawyer can help you.

  • File the necessary paperwork for your asylum application.

  • Prepare you for your asylum interview.

  • Petition for your family members.

  • Represent you before the immigration court if you are seeking asylum to prevent deportation from the US.

  • Research exception possibilities if you have missed the deadline to file for asylum for yourself or your relatives.

*Disclaimer: This content is an attorney advertisement. Prior successful results do not guarantee a similar outcome in your case. It is essential to consult with qualified legal professionals to understand your specific circumstances and legal options.

How Can We Help You?

Discover the prowess of our legal team. Reach out to us today for expert solutions to all your legal inquiries!


USCIS Latest news

U.S. Citizenship a..

✔️ Learn more about your Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, responsibilities:

USCIS Acting Director Ken Cuccinelli toured the Southwest border by helicopter, courtesy of U.S. Customs and Border Protection, to learn more about their air and marine operations. Acting Director Cuccinelli has been meeting with Department of Homeland Security partners to discuss how we work together to address the border crisis.

Our FIRST system is part of our ongoing effort to move from paper-based to a digital environment. FOIA requestors can create a USCIS online account to submit requests and receive documents digitally. Sign up for a USCIS account today: